Advertising Option Icon Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Advertising Option Icon?
The Advertising Option Icon is designed to provide consumers with enhanced information and choices about how and when data is collected or used to serve ads targeted to them based on their likely interests.
When the icon is served on or near ads with accompanying text (“AdChoices”), consumers can click through to learn more about when Rocket Fuel and other companies collect or use their data for interest-based ads. Consumers can then also then make choices about whether to continue to allow online behavioral advertising.
What self-regulatory program is promoting the use of the icon?
The icon is part of a collaborative self-regulatory program (the Digital Advertising Alliance) led by leading marketing and advertising associations, including the AAAA, AAF, ANA, DMA, IAB, and NAI (of which Rocket Fuel is a member). There have been increased calls for federal government legislation and regulation of online behavioral advertising based on the claim that consumers aren’t sufficiently aware of data collection and that it’s too hard to opt out of interest-based ads. The purpose of the cross-industry program is to demonstrate that media and marketing companies can provide consumers with more effective tools for notice and choice, so that government action is not needed
Why is Rocket Fuel putting the icon on our ads?
Rocket Fuel fully supports the goals of the cross-industry effort, and is implementing the icon as part of its compliance with the program’s requirements, with your approval. More importantly, icon-based notices on ads promote user confidence, and demonstrate industry’s commitment to consumer transparency and choice.
Advertisers and ad agencies can find out more about this program by watching the following AAAA video.
Why is icon-based enhanced notice a good thing for industry?
The icon-based program is designed to address the concerns of legislators and regulators about online behavioral advertising, and to make it easier for consumers to become educated and make choices about how their interest data is used. Consumers appreciate when brands, publishers and ad services companies provide greater transparency and control about when their interest data is collected or used. Equally important, there are numerous benefits from advertising that leverages interest-based data:
- Advertisers get better ROI from ads that leverage online behavioral data;
- Publishers get greater revenue, which helps their websites to provide diverse and better quality to consumers for free; and
- Consumers get more relevant ads, improving their online experience, and also more free content and services.
What will the icon look like?
Rocket Fuel is fully licensed and certified to deploy the Advertising Option icon (AdChoices). The icon will be displayed in accordance with the following CLEAR Ad Market Creative Guidelines.
An example ad with the icon in place:
How do I learn more about this program generally?
- IAB Code of Conduct and educational materials: http://www.iab.net/codeofconduct
DMA: (Program announcement) http://www.the-dma.org/cgi/
- Initial Technical Specifications for CLEAR Ad Notice http://www.networkadvertising.org/pdfs/CLEAR_Ad_NoticeApril2010.pdf
How do I learn more about the compliance requirements of this program?
- Digital Advertising Alliance (Cross-industry program): Principles and Implementation Guidelines: http://www.aboutads.info/principles
- BBB compliance page: https://www.bbb.org/online-behavioral-advertising/report-form/
- DMA compliance page: http://www.the-dma.org/government/obaethicscomplaintform.shtml