Sue Bostrom, Former CMO of Cisco, Joins Rocket Fuel Board of Directors
New board member brings history of success across marketing, corporate governance, and managing high-growth enterprises
February 27, 2013 —Redwood City, CA — Rocket Fuel Inc., the leading provider of artificial intelligence advertising solutions for digital marketers, today announced that Sue Bostrom, former executive vice president and chief marketing officer of Cisco Systems, will join its board of directors as Chair of the Compensation Committee. Bostrom’s addition to Rocket Fuel’s board comes at a time of rapid growth for the company.
- During Bostrom’s almost 14 years at Cisco, the company’s revenue and employee size grew by over five times. During her tenure with its executive staff, Cisco was named one of the top Fortune 100 Companies (#62), one of Interbrand’s Best Global Brands (#14), and one of Fortune’s 100 Most Admired Companies (#28).
- Bostrom was responsible for developing Cisco’s vision and strategy through positioning, branding, advertising, and product marketing. She also had responsibility for the company’s Worldwide Government Affairs organization and Small Business Council. Prior to her role as CMO, Bostrom built and led Cisco’s Internet Business Solutions Group, bringing best practices to global Fortune 500 companies and heads of state.
- She has also held leadership positions at FTP Software and National Semiconductor, and served for seven years at McKinsey & Company as a leader in the electronics practice.
- Bostrom is currently a member of the board at Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Georgetown University. She also serves on the advisory board of the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research (SIEPR) and the Stanford Graduate School Business Advisory Council. She holds an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a BS in marketing from the University of Illinois.
- She also currently serves on the board of directors of public companies Varian Medical Systems and Cadence Design Systems, as well as private companies Marketo and FedBid.
- Bostrom joins an illustrious group of executives and business leaders on the Rocket Fuel board. Current board members include Ronald Codd, former CFO of PeopleSoft; Bill Ericson, partner at Mohr Davidow Ventures; John Gardner, managing partner of Nokia Growth Partners; Clark Kokich, chairman of Razorfish; and Monte Zweben, current CEO of Splice Machine and former CEO of Blue Martini Software.
Rocket Fuel’s Stellar Growth:
- Rocket Fuel continues to expand rapidly amid demand for its industry-leading programmatic media-buying technology.
- The company was recently named #4 on the 2013 Forbes Most Promising Companies in America list, and chosen from thousands of applicants based on growth (both in sales and hiring), quality of management team and investors, margins, market size and key partnerships.
- Rocket Fuel recently announced record revenue of $107 million in 2012, working with 894 global brands, including Allstate, BMW, and Lufthansa.
- "Speaking for Rocket Fuel's entire board of directors, we all feel very lucky to have found Sue” said George John, Rocket Fuel co-founder, Chairman and CEO. “In a single person we're getting high IQ and drive, high-growth and large-cap company operating experience, marketing expertise, public and private board governance experience, and compensation committee experience. It has only now occurred to me that we never asked her if she plays guitar like the rest of the Rocket Fuel board except myself. If not, she is welcome to join me on vocals when the board band finally gets together, or more likely take the lead on vocals while I handle the cowbell."
- “Rocket Fuel is bringing hard-core science to the art of marketing and advertising,” said Sue Bostrom. “With Rocket Fuel, marketers can be confident that their messages reach the optimal audiences – increasing the return on every digital advertising dollar they spend. I am thrilled to join Rocket Fuel during such a dynamic period where I can share my expertise in scaling businesses for high levels of growth and customer satisfaction.
About Rocket Fuel Inc.
Rocket Fuel delivers the only programmatic media-buying platform at big data scale that harnesses the power of artificial intelligence to improve marketing ROI. Rocket Fuel's powerful Advertising That Learns™ technology drives best-in-plan results for advertisers, and empowers media teams to focus on strategy, not spreadsheets. Its distributed computing engine currently screens over 26 billion ad opportunities per day, and selects the best for its customers, via real time bidding (RTB) relationships with major publishers and exchanges. The technique has proven itself across web, mobile, video, and social channels, with 894 brands powered by Rocket Fuel in 2012. Awarded #4 on Forbes' 2013 Most Promising Companies in America list, Rocket Fuel was founded by online advertising veterans and rocket scientists from NASA, Yahoo!, Salesforce.com, and DoubleClick. Rocket Fuel employs over 300 people in 15 offices worldwide including New York, London, Toronto, and Hamburg.